Support Services to Seniors
Learn communication techniques and gain knowledge of social services and support to provide appropriate community-based support services for seniors.
The social service sector serves to enhance the well-being of our community by meeting the evolving needs of the community through skills development and updating knowledge. It is imperative to provide appropriate and suitable community-based support services by understanding their needs and concerns of seniors, their families and caregivers. This module aims to equip learners with the basic skills and knowledge to guide care staff in providing support services through understanding of the seniors’ needs and interests so that they can be assisted be being referred to appropriate community-based support services.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Apply communication techniques when interacting with seniors in Singapore’s cultural context, taking into the account how the process of aging may have added challenges to communication.
- Explore the categories of social services and support related to seniors such as Caregivers’ Support, Home Care, Centre-based Care, Community Befriending, Gerontological Counselling, Financial Assistance/ Subsidy and Long-term Care Planning.
- Discuss the process of gathering and sharing of information relating to social services and support, taking into consideration different contexts, needs of the seniors and their caregivers and their different communication styles.
- Prepare appropriate referrals to related programmes and services based on assessment of the seniors and their caregivers’ needs.
- Needs and conditions of seniors and their characteristics
- Communication techniques and their application relating to seniors
- Impact of ageing on communication
- Risks of stereotyping seniors
- Types of social services and support relating to seniors
- Factors for consideration when providing basic information relating to social services and support for seniors
- Existing Social service support workers
- Social service/ healthcare workers, seeking certification
- New school leavers/matured learners making a career switch into social care settings
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a formal recognition through the award of a Statement(s) of Attainment (SOA) from SkillsFuture Singapore.
12 June 2023
11 September 2023
12 June 2023
11 September 2023
To be Confirmed
16 hours + 1-hour Assessment
Full Course Fee
$382.50 (before GST)
(Non-SME SC/SPR <40y/o)
Fee Payable by Employer After 70% Subsidy
$123.93 (including GST)
(All SME SC/SPR + Non-SME SC/SPR >39y/o)
Fee Payable by Employer After 90% Subsidy
$41.31 (including GST)
HMI Institute reserves the right to postpone or cancel the courses if minimum enrolment is not met.
If you are new to HMI Institute and wish to inquire about our training courses, please fill in the contact form.